Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lucky pilot

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lucky pilot

    Click image for larger version

Name:	7037386E-7AAD-4880-A414-B2CF77E4356A.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	184466Click image for larger version

Name:	F0D23BAE-D231-4DB5-800D-70F672ADE4CE.jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	184467Click image for larger version

Name:	B2AD78C0-4F29-4BBF-80BB-B0A570C1A12F.jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	184468Click image for larger version

Name:	FD7123FA-E780-4B79-9FD3-A45144B4B60D.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	184469 I donít think any inspection would have found the impending failure on this superior air parts 0-300/200/90/85 cylinder, 1400 total time, cylinder barrel actually broke. Compression was within limits and there was no previous indication of a barrel fatigue. Airplane flew 20 miles back to the airport.
    N29787
    '41 BC12-65

  • #2
    My mouth is very dry.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Hank Jarrett View Post
      My mouth is very dry.
      Burbon would help that...just saying...
      N29787
      '41 BC12-65

      Comment


      • #4
        Next to older Briggs & Stratton lawn mowers these have to be the toughest engines.

        Gary
        N36007 1941 BF12-65 STC'd as BC12D-4-85

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by PA1195 View Post
          Next to older Briggs & Stratton lawn mowers these have to be the toughest engines.

          Gary
          Yeah Gary, it was a lucky ride. If the barrel would have broke about another 1/4" lower, the wrist pin could have came out and seized the engine. That would have not been fun. Pilot flew it 20 miles to the airport with it broke...
          N29787
          '41 BC12-65

          Comment


          • #6
            Quite common on the R-985, so they wound up with a UT inspection at the head/barrel intersection area. I've seen hundreds that wouldn't pass the inspection. I saw a TSIO-520 do this one time on a Baron. As our cylinders increase in age and cycles, it's going to be more common, unfortunately.
            John
            I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by N96337 View Post
              Quite common on the R-985, so they wound up with a UT inspection at the head/barrel intersection area. I've seen hundreds that wouldn't pass the inspection. I saw a TSIO-520 do this one time on a Baron. As our cylinders increase in age and cycles, it's going to be more common, unfortunately.
              John
              John, I dont consider 1400 hours old, they should go at least to overhaul...
              N29787
              '41 BC12-65

              Comment


              • #8
                I totally agree!!! Should be able to add at least one "0" to that before anything shows!
                I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by astjp2 View Post

                  Burbon would help that...just saying...
                  I am more of a Single Malt guy.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Hank Jarrett View Post

                    I am more of a Single Malt guy.
                    Snob! Were you an academic? Hahaha
                    N29787
                    '41 BC12-65

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      No, a Scott!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I think this illustrates the importance of maintaining a clean engine.

                        It can be seen even in the photos that this cylinder was cracked (up to 50% or more of the circumference) for quite some time prior to the final failure. The oil and soot buildup on the intake components and ignition wires below the cylinder is a telltail sign that the cylinder has been blowing oil and hot gases for a while.

                        Keep your engine clean and free of oil leaks and you'll see an impending failure before it develops this far. Just my opinion of course

                        Scott
                        CF-CLR Blog: http://c-fclr.blogspot.ca/

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          how old was that cylinder? There was a batch of superior cylinders that the barrels were not deburred correctly and popped a few heads. I think there is an old AD on it.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Scott View Post
                            I think this illustrates the importance of maintaining a clean engine.

                            It can be seen even in the photos that this cylinder was cracked (up to 50% or more of the circumference) for quite some time prior to the final failure. The oil and soot buildup on the intake components and ignition wires below the cylinder is a telltail sign that the cylinder has been blowing oil and hot gases for a while.

                            Keep your engine clean and free of oil leaks and you'll see an impending failure before it develops this far. Just my opinion of course
                            Scott,

                            I don't see oil or soot build up like you do, are you seeing it on these pics? If so point me I am missing it, Thanks, Dave.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Ragwing nut View Post
                              how old was that cylinder? There was a batch of superior cylinders that the barrels were not deburred correctly and popped a few heads. I think there is an old AD on it.
                              I looked for AD's but found only ones for big engines like IO520

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X