X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hank Jarrett
    replied
    Re: Interchange oxtail feathers between post and prewar

Problem with this particular 41 De Luxe is that it looks like it is missing a lot of the same parts other 41 De Luxes are. Panel is a bodged upslab of aluminum and most of the side trim is missing (door trim is there as well as the grills). There is a set of Banjo wheels in real need of restoration but good luck finding the centers. Original mag switch is long gone and none of the instruments are right, nor do they "look" serviceable. They would be a crap shoot and need to be overhauled at a minimum....after which you would have a full set of the wrong instruments in the wrong panel. There does look to be a full set of the correct knobs, but too much glare to see if they are heat damaged (seen very few that weren't which is why I have been trying to copy the color on my cast ones). Looks like the prop is a painted metal one so it could be good. She could be made flyable again but would take years (maybe decades) to make or find all the little bits that would bring her back to original. As a parts plane I seriously doubt anyone would want to put the work into making parts presentable. As a restoration she looks like the kind of challenge that appeals to me (and others with little common sense). We are also the types that pick up the old, sick looking dog along the road side and clean them up. You have to be kind of crazy but you end up with the most loyal and loving pet you could imagine. Same for this plane. She could be a great plane to fly while you make all of the little goodies that make her a show stopper. But you will loose a lot of money in the process, even if you got her for free.

You won't be able to justify the work and cost to part her out and you sure won't make a lot of money. If she is restored it will be a labor of love and not for profit.

Again, if she wasn't on the opposite side of the country I would waste the money and have another near hopeless project. She just crying out to be brought back. I wish she was within trailering distance from me. But you guys know me, I am nuts when it comes to these things.

Hank

If someone wants to take her on, I would love to help with info and how I made all the parts for my 41 De Luxe. THis plane could be in the same shape as mine after a operational rebuild, but I spent 13 years getting her from that stage to what she looks like now.

Leave a comment:

• PA1195
    replied

Sell? How about donate to a group for parts and help out others for a change?

There's several planes around here that have sat for years on flat tires, covered with snow in winter, and unairworthy all that time. One was a Taylorcraft F-19 that I've mentioned before. Life simply got in the way of the owner I contacted. But as soon as a prospective new owner shows interest they're relaying what Trade-A-Plane or Barnstormer's says they're worth.

Which is why they're still sitting.

Gary

Leave a comment:

• likeTs2
    replied

I think the gut selling is is the FBO at the airport or at least has a business there.

Leave a comment:

• likeTs2
    replied

That is the plane. It is in the Southern part of the San Joaquin Valley which is a mountain rage and 100 miles from the coast. Very dry climate but extremely poor air quality from extensive agricultural activity and is surrounded on three sides by mountains.

Leave a comment:

• Hank Jarrett
    replied

As close as I am to the coast it would be toast for sure, but then so would most of the airframe. I thought someone said the airport it was at was close to the California coast.

Hank

Leave a comment:

• 3Dreaming
    replied

Originally posted by Hank Jarrett View Post
    There is an overhauled engine that was left to rot on the ramp on her?!?!?! How many years ago was the overhaul done? Seems like someone who is owed money should be approached about ways to cut their losses. If it has been on there long enough for the plane to deteriorate THAT much I can't imagine the overhaul being worth anything at all.

Hank
    Sitting out there and sitting in Virginia Beach are two entirely different things. While the sun has taken its toll, I expect the humidity is low. Which would be in favor of the engine. Still it would be a crap shoot.

Leave a comment:

• Hank Jarrett
    replied

There is an overhauled engine that was left to rot on the ramp on her?!?!?! How many years ago was the overhaul done? Seems like someone who is owed money should be approached about ways to cut their losses. If it has been on there long enough for the plane to deteriorate THAT much I can't imagine the overhaul being worth anything at all.

Hank

Leave a comment:

• lfries
    replied

Its on the businesses that did the work parking apron. Many years ago I asked Harry about the "T". He wanted the cost of the engine overhaul which was well over the value of the plane.

Leave a comment:

• Robert Lees
    replied

Originally posted by LostnSpace View Post
    Several years ago, I was delivering a new Carbon Cub to Southern Cal. and stopped there, took several pics of the same plane, a local told me the owner died long ago, I guess any relatives had no interest in it, gary
    So who's paying the parking fee?

Leave a comment:

• M Towsley
    replied

Originally posted by LostnSpace View Post
    Several years ago, I was delivering a new Carbon Cub to Southern Cal. and stopped there, took several pics of the same plane, a local told me the owner died long ago, I guess any relatives had no interest in it, gary
    The registration indicates a trustee. Someone rescue this poor girl or at least part her out for others.

Leave a comment:

• Hank Jarrett
    replied

Originally posted by likeTs2 View Post
    Thank You for the answer.

To answer your question, there is a '41 BC 65 about 220 mi. South of me that is rotting away on a field in Porterville, CA. It's in sad condition. Bungees broken, fabric hanging in spreads, sings of exterior rust etc.. I was wondering if it would be worth the trip to look at it as a parts plane.

Thanks,

Mark
    Mark, check IMs
    Hank

Leave a comment:

• LostnSpace
    replied

Originally posted by M Towsley View Post
    That is beyond sad, why would anyone just let that happen? Looks like Deluxe grills installed. The 'good' photo appears to be from 1966.

Leave a comment:

• M Towsley
    replied

That is beyond sad, why would anyone just let that happen? Looks like Deluxe grills installed. The 'good' photo appears to be from 1966.
    Last edited by M Towsley; 02-11-2018, 09:43. Reason: add info

Leave a comment:

• NC36061
    replied

This one?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by NC36061; 02-11-2018, 09:32.

Leave a comment:

• Hank Jarrett
    replied

There are replacement tail feathers available. Ailerons and tail parts seem to survive when the rest of the plane is totaled. I have a stack of stabs, fins rudders and elevators in the hangar. Problem is usually they are more expensive to ship than they are worth. Of course they are worth a LOT more to ship when you really need one. Cost to buy is still close to zero. I had a tribe member drive all the way from Montana to Virginia Beach for a set of ailerons. Cost him less to drive here and get them than to ship them!
    If she is relatively compete they are the Queens of the Taylorcraft models and well worth restoring. It may take you years to get that last little placard or trim piece to have a perfect show plane, but they fly great without that stuff.

Hank

Leave a comment:

Working...
X