Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ward Aero generators

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ward Aero generators

    Thought I would start a new thread for the Ward Aero generators. These were available as an option on the pre and post war Taylorcrafts (also maybe later but i haven't really looked). I will post some photos and try to find the instructions and wiring diagrams as soon as I can. I have also had one rewound and rebuilt as well as found some sources for replacement parts. We also need to discuss some of the safety issues (the cast props have been known to fail in flight and cause some damage)
    Attached Files

  • #2
    Re: Ward Aero generators

    Originally posted by Hank Jarrett View Post
    These were available as an option on the pre and post war Taylorcrafts (also maybe later but i haven't really looked).
    At what point does post war stop being post war?

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Ward Aero generators

      For purposes here I have been including the early 45 planes with the pre war planes since most of the first ones were built from a lot of the pre war stored parts (my 45 is one of them) Taylorcraft didn't waste anything! Once the late 45s production ran out of old stock parts there was a transition where they used up the very last of the "barn parts" and the last 45s were basically the same as the 46. That is probably why you will occasionally see an early 46 with older door handles or knobs. Somebody probably went to the barn and found a box with a few parts. The war years and just a bit before and after are often "odd ball" birds.

      I have kind of split "post war" into ones using pre war parts and those that were all post war manufacture.

      Hank

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Ward Aero generators

        Originally posted by Hank Jarrett View Post
        For purposes here I have been including the early 45 planes with the pre war planes since most of the first ones were built from a lot of the pre war stored parts (my 45 is one of them) Taylorcraft didn't waste anything! Once the late 45s production ran out of old stock parts there was a transition where they used up the very last of the "barn parts" and the last 45s were basically the same as the 46. That is probably why you will occasionally see an early 46 with older door handles or knobs. Somebody probably went to the barn and found a box with a few parts. The war years and just a bit before and after are often "odd ball" birds.

        I have kind of split "post war" into ones using pre war parts and those that were all post war manufacture.

        Hank
        You should start a '45 only thread. They are there own breed.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Ward Aero generators

          I only kept them here because there were so few of them and so many pre war parts kept showing up on them. The late 45s were really just like a 46, but my 45 is closer to a 41 by a long shot. Still has a 1010 steel fuselage and marks on the fuselage for a flipper trim as well as many other details.

          Hank

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Ward Aero generators

            Originally posted by Hank Jarrett View Post
            I only kept them here because there were so few of them and so many pre war parts kept showing up on them. The late 45s were really just like a 46, but my 45 is closer to a 41 by a long shot. Still has a 1010 steel fuselage and marks on the fuselage for a flipper trim as well as many other details.

            Hank
            The '45 we had the post war trim system in it pretty certain

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Ward Aero generators

              Mike,
              Good discussion about the 45 and where it fits but let's take it off the WardAero generator thread and back to the "New Threads" area. Might even be good for a thread of it's own.

              Hank

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Ward Aero generators

                there was also champion generators and aero which looks like a champion with a different data plate
                Attached Files

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Ward Aero generators

                  I have seen photos of those but never one in person. When I rewound and rebuilt the Ward Aero I have the shop found out the core was just a starter for a pre war Evenrude out board motor. Same PN and everything! Thought we had a great source for parts until we found the antique outboard guys had as big a shortage of spare parts as we do.

                  What is REALLY needed is someone with an NC machine to carve out props. The cast metal props have a tendency to shed blades. If they were milled from a billet the grain would be much stronger. I looked at making composite blades but they are so much lighter they won't spin at the same RPM. It would have needed a lot of test runs to get a new blade pitch to replace the cast aluminum ones. It was easier for me to just plug the battery in to a charger before flights that needed one. When you throw the field switch to start pulling current from a wind generator you can actually FEEL the plane slow down! Just like putting a speed brake out! They are also NOISY! In sound and in RF. The RF can be fixed with some chokes and filters, the sound is loud enough to be heard through the engine noise. Noise CNX headsets hide the sound.

                  Anyone planning to wire their plane for one? I have the wiring diagrams and can dig them out and post them if anyone wants them.

                  Hank

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X