Model 19 landing gear repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 19 landing gear repair

There appears to be a lot of rust (pitting) under the epoxy primer on one gear leg of my model 19 project. My neighbor, an A&P and career welder for the phone company, says he can make a jig and repair the gear. We assume it is all 4130 steel, being a 1951 model, so I need to order up some tubing. Instead of opening the gear legs up and measuring, can someone tell me the wall thickness of the two tubes that go down to the axle (straight in this case). Is it Click image for larger version

Name:	Gear-rust.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	185983 the same on BC12-D's and the F19, or did they change the size when they went to the 1500 pound gross planes..........

Jon

"Captain Jon" Timlin
    '46 BC12-D N94952 Traci T-Craft
    '46 BC12-D N96301 Tami T-Craft (undergoing restoration)
    '51 Model 19 N6629N Terri T-Craft (undergoing restoration)

The safest bet is to drill a hole and measure the wall thickness.

Comment

Thanks, you are right. I was just trying to avoid doing that before my friend starts on it. Still new at this restoration stuff, I hate to destroy airplane parts (even knowing it's junk unless we fix it). Somebody probably has the specs............

Jon
      "Captain Jon" Timlin
      '46 BC12-D N94952 Traci T-Craft
      '46 BC12-D N96301 Tami T-Craft (undergoing restoration)
      '51 Model 19 N6629N Terri T-Craft (undergoing restoration)

Comment

Drilling a small hole will not degrade the part in any manner regarding the repair. If you have a Cherry rivet depth gage you can get by with a hole as small as 1/8". Even a small wire will work.

Comment

Working...
        X