Looking for a project plane...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RyanShort1
    started a topic Looking for a project plane...

Looking for a project plane...

I'm still going through a bad legal / family deal, but if anyone knows of is made aware of a good / cheap 3-10 year project Taylorcraft within a day's round-trip drive of Dallas, Texas, please drop me a line!

• Fly guy
    replied
    I have a BC -12 if still interested located in Cheboygan Mi and could help with transportation 85hp continental 1320 EDO floats

Leave a comment:

• RyanShort1
    replied
    As mentioned in the post before, I went to look at a project plane in Fort Worth. Pretty sad, but maybe someday it will fly again. I've got current pictures and the pictures in this post are flattering...

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/rv...843506530.html

The good news is that in the meantime it looks like I may help out a CAF unit with an L-2!

Leave a comment:

• RyanShort1
    replied
    I looked a a pretty sad airplane yesterday nearby. It's "intact" but really needs some hard TLC. Thing was that the owner wants $13.5 for it and it's not been in annual or had it's engine run for basically five years and the fabric is 1970 vintage.

Leave a comment:

• Ragwing nut
    replied
    [QUOTE=LostnSpace;n182044][QUOTE=Ragwing , just sent you a PM, gary

[/QUOTE]

replied

Leave a comment:

• LostnSpace
    replied
    [QUOTE=Ragwing , just sent you a PM, gary

Leave a comment:

• RyanShort1
    replied
    Originally posted by Ragwing nut View Post

I have the ultimate L-2 project. The last one of the 4 YO-57 acceptance airplanes for the Army L-2 contract.
    I'm afraid to ask how much... but that would be the perfect kind of restoration project.

Leave a comment:

• Ragwing nut
    replied
    Originally posted by RyanShort1 View Post
    I'm still looking, and wanted to also mention that an L-2 project would now be higher on my list now that I'm re-investing time in another project of mine at www.lbirds.com
    I have the ultimate L-2 project. The last one of the 4 YO-57 acceptance airplanes for the Army L-2 contract.

Leave a comment:

• RyanShort1
    replied
    I'm still looking, and wanted to also mention that an L-2 project would now be higher on my list now that I'm re-investing time in another project of mine at www.lbirds.com

Leave a comment:

• PA1195
    replied
    Originally posted by 3Dreaming View Post

All of the Taylorcraft steps I have seen attack to the strut attachment not the upper gear attachment.
    Technically yes they attach to the strut fitting ears that's subject to the AD not the gear ears, but I consider them as one welded unit.

https://www.taylorcraft.org/docs/TCR...SB2007-002.pdf

Gary
    Last edited by PA1195; 01-05-2019, 14:40.

Leave a comment:

• 3Dreaming
    replied
    Originally posted by PA1195 View Post

Yes my gear is uncovered and I can foot the Grove brake or top of the ski. I have 26" Airstreak tires so they are too tall for my knees. I bought a set of steps that are supposed to fasten to the upper rear gear attach. But due to previous repairs and welding those fittings are a bit wider than stock (and perhaps more robust?) so the steps are too narrow to fit without some modification. Either way from the front it's quite easy to step up, turn, bend, scoot in butt first, and slide without lots of knee bending or stress.

Gary
    All of the Taylorcraft steps I have seen attack to the strut attachment not the upper gear attachment.

Leave a comment:

• PA1195
    replied
    Originally posted by M Towsley View Post
    Gary,

When standing on the lower gear you mean the actual gear, not the wheel or ski? I'm guessing your lower gear is not covered with fabric/paint. I would tear mine up if I did that. You can still use the back-in method, just scoot farther in before you pull your legs in.
    Yes my gear is uncovered and I can foot the Grove brake or top of the ski. I have 26" Airstreak tires so they are too tall for my knees. I bought a set of steps that are supposed to fasten to the upper rear gear attach. But due to previous repairs and welding those fittings are a bit wider than stock (and perhaps more robust?) so the steps are too narrow to fit without some modification. Either way from the front it's quite easy to step up, turn, bend, scoot in butt first, and slide without lots of knee bending or stress.

Gary

Leave a comment:

• 3Dreaming
    replied
    I knew a fellow with a wooden leg that flew a T-Craft. He got in from the Right side and slid across.

Leave a comment:

• M Towsley
    replied
    Gary,

When standing on the lower gear you mean the actual gear, not the wheel or ski? I'm guessing your lower gear is not covered with fabric/paint. I would tear mine up if I did that. You can still use the back-in method, just scoot farther in before you pull your legs in.

Leave a comment:

• PA1195
    replied
    I've tried Marty's method but my knees don't like to bend to my chest when turning. As I mentioned above I stand on the lower gear from the plane front facing the door then step up on my right leg and turn 180 to scoot my butt in on the seat. I can then move back further in the cockpit and pull my legs in behind me no problem. Getting out is a short pullback from the left door to get the feet and legs out and on or beside the left tire or ski. Then slide out forwards toward the prop. Works on wheels, skis, and floats.

Gary

Leave a comment:

Working...
X