Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trim Tab - old style - under stabilizer fabrication/installation help needed

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • John Loftus
    replied
    Re: Trim Tab - old style - under stabilizer fabrication/installation help needed

    SwickT80,
    Sorry I missed your original post. Here are some pics of my 1940 BC-65. The trim tabs attach to a hollow tube which is 20 1/8 inches long. The actuating bracket is 3 1/2 inches long. Let me know if you need more info.
    John
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • 3Dreaming
    replied
    Re: Trim Tab - old style - under stabilizer fabrication/installation help needed

    Originally posted by SwickT80 View Post
    When doing restorations, is the Taylorcraft foundation of any help with providing detailed blueprints/pictures of such parts?
    Not much. They may have the drawing you need in Alliance, but you would have to go there, find it, and take it to town to make a copy. Last I heard the drawings were not very organized.

    Leave a comment:


  • SwickT80
    replied
    Re: Trim Tab - old style - under stabilizer fabrication/installation help needed

    I'm going to keep it, as a current clip wing airshow performer is using one and I've included the best photo I can of the setup. When doing restorations, is the Taylorcraft foundation of any help with providing detailed blueprints/pictures of such parts?
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • Ragwing nut
    replied
    Re: Trim Tab - old style - under stabilizer fabrication/installation help needed

    I have intentions of using a L-2 tab on mine or a double groove pulley from a pacer and post war tab.

    Leave a comment:


  • SpecialT
    replied
    Re: Trim Tab - old style - under stabilizer fabrication/installation help needed

    The guy that built mine took the "flying plate" off. He said it didn't work. He said he was going to give it to me, but it never showed up. I want to install some kind of in-flight trim tab in the future, but for now you just bend the tab for whatever hands off rpm/cruise speed you want, and the rest of the time you keep pressure on the stick. After all, your never supposed to fly straight and level in a clip wing :dance:

    Leave a comment:


  • Ragwing nut
    replied
    Re: Trim Tab - old style - under stabilizer fabrication/installation help needed

    Here is pics of the mount, cable guide, and handle mount. Fuselage is upside down
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • 3Dreaming
    replied
    Re: Trim Tab - old style - under stabilizer fabrication/installation help needed

    I don't recall ever seeing any, but there may be some somewhere.

    Leave a comment:


  • SwickT80
    replied
    Re: Trim Tab - old style - under stabilizer fabrication/installation help needed

    Thanks! 1 foot long make a little more sense. Are there any factory blueprints available?

    Leave a comment:


  • 3Dreaming
    replied
    Re: Trim Tab - old style - under stabilizer fabrication/installation help needed

    Sorry, I don't think I have any pictures. It has been almost 25 years since I did mine. I think the shaft you have was just put there to keep the bell crank in place. If memory serves it should stick out of the fuselage almost 1 foot. I think my airplane had a solid rod instead of a tube. It was drilled in the middle with one or two holes for the bell crank, and it was secured with roll pins. On each side of the fuselage it had 3 holes corresponding to the holes in the tab. They had screws down through the tab skin and shaft, then nuts on the bottom.

    The riveted edge of the tab goes to the rear.

    Leave a comment:


  • SwickT80
    replied
    Re: Trim Tab - old style - under stabilizer fabrication/installation help needed

    Here is a close up of what I have. The shaft through the fuselage is almost 1 1/4" long and it's untapped. I'm trying to see what is left to make and the parts needed to attach the paddle to the shaft. Pictures and notes would help.
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • 3Dreaming
    replied
    Re: Trim Tab - old style - under stabilizer fabrication/installation help needed

    They are attached to a shaft that passes through the fuselage. The 3 holes have screw that go through the tab and shaft to hold it in place.

    Leave a comment:


  • Trim Tab - old style - under stabilizer fabrication/installation help needed

    I have recently purchased an experimental Taylorcraft fuselage that was being built to resemble to a prewar build. Most of the trim assembly has been fabricated, including the trim paddles. What I lack is how the paddles that are empty inside (maybe incomplete) attach to the short shafts they attach to. The taylorcraft parts website says this is for a B-49 model.

    Does anyone have pictures from a restoration detailing how these are made and installed?
    -Jeff
    Attached Files
Working...
X