Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuselage tubing size - shoulder harness analysis

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • PA1195
    replied
    Re: Fuselage tubing size - shoulder harness analysis

    Originally posted by astjp2 View Post
    Gary, just so you know, as soon as its sent to OK city, it becomes public record. I was just trying to save me the cost of ordering the CD from the FAA. Tim
    Thanks Tim. And while old fashioned, I've explained my respect for the I/A and the owner that paid for the paperwork.

    Yes I'm aware of the process and have in the past ordered CD's for several aircraft. I do not distribute the data publicly and just use it for benefit on my own aircraft.

    Edit: Perhaps in these instances it would be better to just note the N-number that's had the mod approved and let the interested party obtain the public records for $10 with a record of who requested them. Besides I like having the complete CD to review the 337 and IAC, and any other modifications that potentially may be related or have an effect on the combined performance.


    Gary
    Last edited by PA1195; 05-03-2015, 19:51.

    Leave a comment:


  • astjp2
    replied
    Re: Fuselage tubing size - shoulder harness analysis

    Gary, just so you know, as soon as its sent to OK city, it becomes public record. I was just trying to save me the cost of ordering the CD from the FAA. Tim

    Leave a comment:


  • PA1195
    replied
    Re: Fuselage tubing size - shoulder harness analysis

    Originally posted by astjp2 View Post
    Email me a copy of your 337 of your prop install please, I will try and get it posted into the tech reference section. Tim
    Out of professional respect I leave the option to publicly distribute 337's to the discretion of the I/A that signed the document for my plane.

    Gary

    Leave a comment:


  • astjp2
    replied
    Re: Fuselage tubing size - shoulder harness analysis

    Email me a copy of your 337 of your prop install please, I will try and get it posted into the tech reference section. Tim

    Originally posted by PA1195 View Post
    Brief thread drift here in reply to a comment above re: propellers. I have a Field Approval for a Sen 76AK-2 via engine application and limits noted in TCDS 1P2 on my T-Craft's C-85, pitch not specified (it's 40). A multi STC might require more substantiation.

    Leave a comment:


  • PA1195
    replied
    Re: Fuselage tubing size - shoulder harness analysis

    Airbag jackets and harnesses are becoming popular in the motorcycle industry. I ride and thankfully haven't had to un-butt a bike in 55 years...but there's those that have and those that will. I wear all the riding gear all the time.

    Here's a similar invention for "Ultralite Aircraft" : http://www.helite.com/airbag-applica...plications/45/ Might have to fuss with the link to look. There may be others.

    For years I wore an aviation helmet primarily because it was recommended by my employer, and I found that in a C-185 it was easy to contact the left upper door frame with my head in turbulence despite wearing a shoulder harness. Never had the chance to see if it prevents eating the panel, but I know those that said it did save their life.

    Gary

    Leave a comment:


  • Joe cooper
    replied
    Re: Fuselage tubing size - shoulder harness analysis

    Originally posted by PA1195 View Post
    Brief thread drift here in reply to a comment above re: propellers. I have a Field Approval for a Sen 76AK-2 via engine application and limits noted in TCDS 1P2 on my T-Craft's C-85, pitch not specified (it's 40). A multi STC might require more substantiation.
    I witnessed an accident involving a TCRAFT with student and CFI. The student lived with serious Injurys. The CFI died. Most who witnessed the crash on take off ( probable engine failure) and the way she died, concluded shoulder harnesses probably would have saved CFI and made his injurys less serious. He more or less was thrown into her as it crashed right wing down in a stall using her as an airbag so to speak. After WW2 shoulder harness should have been required. They have saved uncountable lives.

    Leave a comment:


  • PA1195
    replied
    Re: Fuselage tubing size - shoulder harness analysis

    Brief thread drift here in reply to a comment above re: propellers. I have a Field Approval for a Sen 76AK-2 via engine application and limits noted in TCDS 1P2 on my T-Craft's C-85, pitch not specified (it's 40). A multi STC might require more substantiation.

    Leave a comment:


  • water007
    replied
    Re: Fuselage tubing size - shoulder harness analysis

    So, if using the Wag part no. H-858, will I need any additional hardware to attach to the AC tubing? Do the end-fittings that come with those harnesses suffice, or maybe additional local hardware? I do have a skylight, so no overhead liner. Trying to figure this out w/o having my manuals (with my A&P) in hand, so I can order ASAP

    Leave a comment:


  • astjp2
    replied
    Re: Fuselage tubing size - shoulder harness analysis

    Actually the strain gauges were 10K to start, the engineering was extra...but he could sign off on an STC data package. I would love to get an M74CK-0-43 prop legal on an 85, 90 and O-200...

    Leave a comment:


  • Hank Jarrett
    replied
    Re: Fuselage tubing size - shoulder harness analysis

    Oh, I get it. The cost wasn't for the strain gauge test and analysis, it was for the DER sign off. I can't help much with that part.

    Hank

    Leave a comment:


  • astjp2
    replied
    Re: Fuselage tubing size - shoulder harness analysis

    Hank, those students do not have a DER to sign off on the analysis...that is why they can charge that much...Tim

    Leave a comment:


  • Hank Jarrett
    replied
    Re: Fuselage tubing size - shoulder harness analysis

    TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS to put on strain gauges!!!!! That is an OUTRAGE! Any university with an engineering program will have loads of students who have had Experimental Stress Analysis who can do it. Even I DID IT as a student! (years ago, but for that kind of money I can get someone with RECENT experience who is certified if needed)
    Can we do it in the lower 48? MY company should be able to do it for a fraction of the cost.

    Hank

    Leave a comment:


  • astjp2
    replied
    Re: Fuselage tubing size - shoulder harness analysis

    I applied for the STC but I could not come up with the money to get the strain gauge analysis on the blades done. There was a guy in WA that wanted $10K just to put them on....and the analysis was extra...Tim

    Leave a comment:


  • Hank Jarrett
    replied
    Re: Fuselage tubing size - shoulder harness analysis

    OK, not always. ;-)

    Hank

    Leave a comment:


  • Hank Jarrett
    replied
    Re: Fuselage tubing size - shoulder harness analysis

    One of the motivations for engineers is curiosity. We do an analysis because it is FUN and we just want to know what the number is. Sometimes it is just a Nerd thing. Leads to a lot of "discussions" that non engineers think are arguments. They aren't.

    Hank

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X