Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cub waits in barn for 59 years

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Larry Lyons
    replied
    Re: Cub waits in barn for 59 years

    "I am partial to the Lockeed 12. My grandfather had one many years ago. I wish we had it back along with a bunch of other vintage iron we used to own. I am once again depressed......"

    Here Here! I spent a lot of my mis-spent youth in the right seat (or jumping out of) of the Electra 10. As a matter of fact it was the sister ship to the one that Amelia disappeared in. Lockheed made both side by side and rolled them out for her to inspect. She chose one and we, much later, ended up with the other. In those days I was a jump master at Zephyrhills Fl. where she (the Electra) was our work horse for hauling jumpers. When we did not have a full load and I was not the instructor I would fly right seat, loved it! Consequently it was bought and restored for the last Amelia Earhart movie made about 10 years ago. :joy:
    Larry

    PS: As an aside we called our Loadstar the Loadstall! Another story there.
    Last edited by Larry Lyons; 04-01-2009, 08:33. Reason: Clarafication of who "she" is/was.

    Leave a comment:


  • Forrest Barber
    replied
    Re: Cub waits in barn for 59 years

    Go to bed earlier, wake up refreshed. Work hard all day , etc..... Wish we had Chamberlins Curtis Condor back here at the Taylorcraft Factory in Alliance . Lockheed 10 & 12 was neat too! Get Crispy ready for Alliance this year!!
    Up to my Axx in Alligators trying to drain the swamp...

    Leave a comment:


  • Ragwing nut
    replied
    Re: Cub waits in barn for 59 years

    Originally posted by crispy critter View Post
    I love a beech 18,why I'm really not sure.....they burn too much gas,leak/burn too much oil,they can be a bitch in a cross wind because once the tail starts to settle to the ground on roll out there's a point where you start to loose rudder athority all together so you have to compensate with lots of brake(18's are not known for having the best brakes,but not too bad) then throttle managment if the brakes ain't enough,they are loud,draftly,the hearter sucks in the winter,they can be hot as hell in the summer........but they fly and handle sooo sweet. Once you get a feel for it they will go almost anywhere a single engine cessna will go and carry the wieght of a dozen taylorcrafts while doing it !!!!! Not to mention they have to be one of the most beautiful twin engine airplanes ever built to this day...IMHO.
    I am partial to the Lockeed 12. My grandfather had one many years ago. I wish we had it back along with a bunch of other vintage iron we used to own. I am once again depressed......

    Leave a comment:


  • crispy critter
    replied
    Re: Cub waits in barn for 59 years

    I love a beech 18,why I'm really not sure.....they burn too much gas,leak/burn too much oil,they can be a bitch in a cross wind because once the tail starts to settle to the ground on roll out there's a point where you start to loose rudder athority all together so you have to compensate with lots of brake(18's are not known for having the best brakes,but not too bad) then throttle managment if the brakes ain't enough,they are loud,draftly,the hearter sucks in the winter,they can be hot as hell in the summer........but they fly and handle sooo sweet. Once you get a feel for it they will go almost anywhere a single engine cessna will go and carry the wieght of a dozen taylorcrafts while doing it !!!!! Not to mention they have to be one of the most beautiful twin engine airplanes ever built to this day...IMHO.

    Leave a comment:


  • Larry Lyons
    replied
    Re: Cub waits in barn for 59 years

    Originally posted by Ragwing nut View Post
    Beech 18
    I wondered just did not look that big.
    LL

    Leave a comment:


  • Ragwing nut
    replied
    Re: Cub waits in barn for 59 years

    Originally posted by Larry Lyons View Post
    Jared is that a Bamboo bomber in behind? Always loved that plane but would not want to fly one at night. Larry
    Beech 18

    Leave a comment:


  • Larry Lyons
    replied
    Re: Cub waits in barn for 59 years

    Jared is that a Bamboo bomber in behind? Always loved that plane but would not want to fly one at night. Larry

    Leave a comment:


  • BarnCub
    replied
    Re: Cub waits in barn for 59 years

    Originally posted by VictorBravo View Post
    Oh the HORROR !
    Careful. This is my only flyer.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BarnCub; 03-30-2009, 18:32.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ryan
    replied
    Re: Cub waits in barn for 59 years

    Originally Posted by Forrest Barber
    I actually took the Private check ride in a PA-22-150 56 tri-Pacer.....

    Oh the HORROR !

    (actually I can't open my mouth right now, I just bought a 56 C-172 Saturday and brought it home. Did you guys know there are airplanes that you can actually fly with your feet on the floor and fold your charts in level flight without the thing wandering 30 degrees off course? How strange...)
    HEY Bill I took my check ride in our '55 PA 22...Although it is converted to a taildragger so it looks ALOT better.

    Great find on the Cub by the way. Good luck with the restoration.

    Ryan
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • VictorBravo
    replied
    Re: Cub waits in barn for 59 years

    Originally posted by Forrest Barber View Post
    I actually took the Private check ride in a PA-22-150 56 tri-Pacer.....
    Oh the HORROR !

    (actually I can't open my mouth right now, I just bought a 56 C-172 Saturday and brought it home. Did you guys know there are airplanes that you can actually fly with your feet on the floor and fold your charts in level flight without the thing wandering 30 degrees off course? How strange...)

    Leave a comment:


  • Forrest Barber
    replied
    Re: Cub waits in barn for 59 years

    For Bill and the Tribe; Pop did not own a Taylorcraft at that time. Just the Cub and a Vagabond. I did a lot with the Vag and then we bought a 65 HP Taylorcraft that I used to finish a lot of my requirements, Then I actually took the Private check ride in a PA-22-150 56 tri-Pacer.....

    Leave a comment:


  • dewhitaker
    replied
    Re: Cub waits in barn for 59 years

    Great find! Keep us posted on your project.

    Leave a comment:


  • Buell Powell
    replied
    Re: Cub waits in barn for 59 years

    I know I wouldn't be able to sleep - probably just dose off and go out and look at it once in a while to make sure it's still there. Even the old prop would be a dream to find. I am restoring a 46 J-3 for a lady that has been in one family since new. It has all the original logs but--They had changed the engine to an 0290,added a wing tank,had cleveland brakes, a 10" tailwheel and had made a metal box where the baggage compartment is for a car battery for a bullhorn to use while working cattle. The lady that has it now is having me restore it back to original for her grandson the pictures are really neat--could you e-mail me some more--especially a side picture? My 41 Taylorcraft sat for 32 years but before I got it someone had taken it apart to start to restore it and it changed hands several times so I never got to see it original. Thanks for the pictures!
    Buell

    Leave a comment:


  • BarnCub
    replied
    Re: Cub waits in barn for 59 years

    Originally posted by N96337 View Post
    I bet you didn't sleep for a night or two after finding it!!
    John
    Right on with that one. I still find myself, months later, in a moment of thought where I just can't believe it happened to me. This airplane will help the Ranger Airport so much, it's a real blessing. The family that passed it on to us was very kind and I'll always be grateful for that. I not only have to answer to them in doing a top resto but all of the Cub people in the world. You're right, we might have to teach a judge a thing or two.

    Leave a comment:


  • N96337
    replied
    Re: Cub waits in barn for 59 years

    Great story... I'd heard about it, but hadn't seen the pictures. Richard Boyer's Tcraft only had 217 total time on it since 1946 when I signed the annual off in NV and brought it home here in March of 2000. Once in a while one of those barn rats shows up...yours is by far the neatest find I've heard of for quite sometime! You'll be able to tell any judge about originality!! I bet you didn't sleep for a night or two after finding and buying it!!
    John

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X