Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proposed Strut AD

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bobdog
    replied
    Re: Proposed Strut AD

    Originally posted by Marcus Bates Jr View Post
    Piper AD used a Maule fabric tester in a 1/4" grid.....didnt hurt my paint.
    You wouldn't have a copy of this AD would you? This would be a good thing to post here on our forum.......and something any of us could do to our own planes to keep them safe!:joy:

    Leave a comment:


  • VictorBravo
    replied
    Re: Proposed Strut AD

    If I recall, the 43-13 shows a repair to a streamline strut using an internal sleeve and rosette welds. When the body work is really done right you can grind and sand it and nothing will show through paint.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ragwing nut
    replied
    Re: Proposed Strut AD

    The biggest problem I have found is they get kinked where the the jury strut attaches, and i can't stand to look at patched struts. I have a huge stack of damaged wings struts i need to figure out how to use the streamline tubing out of them.

    Mike

    Leave a comment:


  • Marcus Bates Jr
    replied
    Re: Proposed Strut AD

    Piper AD used a Maule fabric tester in a 1/4" grid.....didnt hurt my paint.

    Leave a comment:


  • Buell Powell
    replied
    Re: Proposed Strut AD

    Stitts Poly Fiber has a product Tubeseal that I use in struts after bead blasting and checking that prevents moisture and seals them.A common sense way to deal with the strut issue is to make sure the struts are in servicable condition and if the plane is kept is a dry hanger they shouldn't need to be checked every year. If the plane is left outside, especially on floats then they should probably be checked once in a while. I would bet that most of the struts that are found to be rusted either came from planes that were stored outside or they had been stored in a damp place.
    Buell

    Leave a comment:


  • Laz
    replied
    Re: Proposed Strut AD

    I have a friend that is just about finished with his pre-war BC12. He ultimately had to buy struts. He went through 5 sets and could only find two worth keeping (I bought them). If I need some new ones I will buy from Univair. any one out there have any experience with their struts good/bad. My t-craft has one strut purchased from Tcraft in 1970 from T-craft /Ferris. I think its OK. but will have it checked.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ragwing nut
    replied
    Re: Proposed Strut AD

    Originally posted by Bobdog View Post
    Isn't there a way that you can test the struts yourself? As I recall there was a "punch test" that was used on the Cubs. There has to be some way of doing it without $20,000 worth of test equipment.
    Ice pick test in a 1/4 inch grid pattern covering the lower 12" strut or so. Ruins the paint and is very timing consuming.

    Mike

    Leave a comment:


  • Ragwing nut
    replied
    Re: Proposed Strut AD

    Yes anything made of steel will rust but that don't mean we need AD's for the tubing in the fuselage as well does it? The Piper AD came about due to inflight failures resulting in fatalities. I do not know of a strut failure history on Taylorcraft struts.

    Mike

    Leave a comment:


  • Bobdog
    replied
    Re: Proposed Strut AD

    Isn't there a way that you can test the struts yourself? As I recall there was a "punch test" that was used on the Cubs. There has to be some way of doing it without $20,000 worth of test equipment.

    Leave a comment:


  • Forrest Barber
    replied
    Re: Proposed Strut AD

    I totally agree, YES there are used and abused struts out there, My God some are 60-70 yrs old . They need inspected properly especially if doing a rebuild... I get calls from members about parts they have received from other members that are complete junk..... Have a mechanic check your parts before installation and I don't mean just sign them off! When in doubt buy new ones, BUT some of them are sad too!

    Leave a comment:


  • crispy critter
    replied
    Re: Proposed Strut AD

    I hate to wieght in on this with this kind of info but I bought 2 t-crafts in the past 3 months(one project and one flying project)and a pile of used struts,both has holes rusted in the bottom of the front struts around the drain hole and also one rear one has rust in it too.Some of the used struts I bought that were supposed to be servicable have either had rust rattling around inside them or rust bubbling through with holes in them. I am not trying to support the AD nor the factory in any way and I think the AD is partly hogg wash but I have been seeing more and more t-crafts with rust in the struts. Any good A&P/IA knows to inspect them and determine airworthiness and I wish they would drop the AD but I would say it is coming sooner than we want it too.
    Just remeber I'm not supporting the AD,just passing the info from my personal experiance.
    Last edited by crispy critter; 01-08-2007, 16:30.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ray36048
    replied
    Re: Proposed Strut AD

    Potential strut problems are not limited to Piper's or Taylorcraft's. A guy is rebuilding a Chief in the hanger next to mine. You should have seen all the holes that appeared on the end of the strut when he bead basted it.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ragwing nut
    replied
    Re: Proposed Strut AD

    I can find no mention of an NPRM or recent AD for struts on the FAA website, so it is a rumor as far as I am concerned still. I would like to see the letter you were sent.

    Mike

    Leave a comment:


  • jgerard
    replied
    Re: Proposed Strut AD

    Remember gang, a strut has to fail the inspection before Harry can sell you a new one. If he expects to climb out of debt with this bogus AD he's nuts! I would buy a strut from Univair before I bought one from Harry.

    Leave a comment:


  • VictorBravo
    replied
    Re: Proposed Strut AD

    Someone who is in the position of being able to see the factory drawings themselves, and who just offhandedly made a blanket statement "the best option will be to replace...", may not be a neutral party IMHO.

    When someone shows the FAA ONE Taylorcraft that fell outof the air because of a bad strut, we can talk about an AD!
    Last edited by VictorBravo; 12-26-2006, 11:10. Reason: spelling

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X