Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valentine, A 1940 Model B

Adding to the Registry, Valentine
    A 1940 BL 65. This is my second Taylorcraft, the first was a 1946 BC12D which I sold in 1990. My activity in aviation ceased in 1993. Until I realized last January I could resume it again affordably.

Some about me I enrolled in and attended a state university which has run a Pilot and Mechanics program since its College of Aviation was established in 1939-40. I completed a large portion of the A & P program before I left in the mid 80s. I then worked as an Aircraft Structural repairman in the Army followed by the Air Force Reserve and received training as a Turbo Propulsion Technician and then a Turbine engine Technician assigned to C-130s then KC 135s.
    Career wise I earned my living working as a Professional Counselor and am presently in a state of quasi retirement.

About this aircraft Its date of manufacture is February 14, 1940. This aircraft became a part of the College of Aviation program mentioned earlier from 1941 -1944. In fact, there are entries in the log book signed by the maintenance instructor and director of the program who is now considered the father of the program having a building named after him at the University. Most of the pilots trained at the College went to the Navy during the war.

The aircraft was placed in storage after tie down damage occurred from a Severe Thunderstorm in 1982. It was in process of being reassembled after receiving new paint and was airworthy at the time.

It sat for 34 years in a hay storage barn until I brought it home in May of 2018, as a project plane.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Clark; 09-03-2018, 13:48. Reason: Typo and second attempt to add photos
    Clark Freese
    1940 BL 65, Project

Re: Valentine, A 1940 Model B

Hello Clark. I hope your project goes well. I'm working on a 1940 BC 65. Take care,
    John Loftus

Comment

Nice to see another '40 BL... Are you going to retain the O-145 or take the easy way out with the Continental?
      Michael Robinson

1940 BL-65
      2005 Harmon Rocket
      2001 RV-8
      1984 L-39C Albatros
      180 HP Pacer Clone Project

Comment

Clark, I'm near Kalamazoo & learned to fly in a 1940 BL-65 on wooden skis, did my long cross country & stopped at Houghton lake. The airport managers dad was a Tcraft dealer & his was built on the last work day of '39, mine on the 1st workday of '40. I have 12 BL-65 engines I'm selling so if you want spares come on down before they go. Also wheels, mounts, tanks, it's all going to go along with the machine shop. I have the American Pacemaker lathe out of Checker Motors & much much more. PM me if interested. Thanks!
        Eric Richardson
        1938 Taylor-Young
        Model BL NC20426
        "Life's great in my '38"
        & Taylorcoupe N2806W
        TF#634

Comment

Thank you, John. Best wishes on your 1940 BC. I look forward to tracking your progress.
          Clark Freese
          1940 BL 65, Project

Comment

Thank you Michael. I intend to stick with the 0-145. There will be a learning curve of course but, I think I may be quite happy with it.
            Last edited by Clark; 3 weeks ago.
            Clark Freese
            1940 BL 65, Project

Comment

Eric, I am about 90 miles from Kalamazoo and the aircraft spent some time there in early forties. I spent about ten years there. Between working and attending college from 1973-1984.
              Clark Freese
              1940 BL 65, Project

Comment

Working...
              X