Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is an I/A responsible for???

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pearson
    replied
    Re: What is an I/A responsible for???

    Dave,

    Is that kinda like when you are the last I/A to sign off a logbook? Yes, I was trying to get a discussion started on the pros & cons of the various aspects of an annual inspection.

    Leave a comment:


  • M Towsley
    replied
    Re: What is an I/A responsible for???

    Hi Dave, feel better?

    Leave a comment:


  • Guest
    Guest replied
    Re: What is an I/A responsible for???

    It always make me nervous when I have the last word.

    I wish someone else would jump in here.

    Dave

    Leave a comment:


  • Guest
    Guest replied
    Re: What is an I/A responsible for???

    Hi Richard,

    I/A is responsible to make sure that 1) the airplane complies with (meets) its type data and 2) is in a condition for safe operation, this is the definition of airworthy.

    Item 1 above implies all that legal stuff that you mentioned. That's what the FAA requires of I/A's.


    Notice that the signoff shown in the FAR below says "I certify that this aircraft has been inspected in accordance with (insert type) inspection and was determined to be in airworthy condition”. That's where the I/A gets saddled with checking that the airplane has only legal installations on it at that time of the inspection. Richard that is not the same as checking that the past log book entries are correct or legal.


    §43.11 Content, form, and disposition of records for inspections conducted under parts 91 and 125 and §§135.411(a)(1) and 135.419 of this chapter.
    (a) Maintenance record entries. The person approving or disapproving for return to service an aircraft, airframe, aircraft engine, propeller, appliance, or component part after any inspection performed in accordance with part 91, 125, §135.411(a)(1), or §135.419 shall make an entry in the maintenance record of that equipment containing the following information:

    (1) The type of inspection and a brief description of the extent of the inspection.

    (2) The date of the inspection and aircraft total time in service.

    (3) The signature, the certificate number, and kind of certificate held by the person approving or disapproving for return to service the aircraft, airframe, aircraft engine, propeller, appliance, component part, or portions thereof.

    (4) Except for progressive inspections, if the aircraft is found to be airworthy and approved for return to service, the following or a similarly worded statement—“I certify that this aircraft has been inspected in accordance with (insert type) inspection and was determined to be in airworthy condition.”

    (5) Except for progressive inspections, if the aircraft is not approved for return to service because of needed maintenance, noncompliance with applicable specifications, airworthiness directives, or other approved data, the following or a similarly worded statement—“I certify that this aircraft has been inspected in accordance with (insert type) inspection and a list of discrepancies and unairworthy items dated (date) has been provided for the aircraft owner or operator.”


    Another relevent FAR says this;
    §43.15 Additional performance rules for inspections.
    (a) General. Each person performing an inspection required by part 91, 125, or 135 of this chapter, shall—

    (1) Perform the inspection so as to determine whether the aircraft, or portion(s) thereof under inspection, meets all applicable airworthiness requirements; and




    If I left something out I am sure other IA's will jump in.

    I have been an I/A for about 15 years and I respect the guys that do annuals, I don't do many annuals at all neither do I desire them.

    Dave

    Leave a comment:


  • Pearson
    started a topic What is an I/A responsible for???

    What is an I/A responsible for???

    The post regarding the wing tanks in a BL model Taylorcraft has brought a question to my mind that I think warrants a new thread. The title says it all. When you take your airplane in for an annual, just exactly what is it your are paying for? What is an I/A responsible for when they sign off an annual?

    I thought that when you get an annual, the Inspector was saying that on THAT day your airplane was safe, and that the Inspector saw no reason it wouldn't remain safe for another year.

    Does a signoff for an annual mean that every bit of paperwork since the birth of the aircraft is 100% legal. With as complicated as the FARs are, I would think that an I/A would need a law degree to determine the legalities of every logbook entry and 337 on each aircraft he annuals.

    What are your impressions of an annual? Is it fair to expect an I/A to be responsible for the legality of every mod or repair for the history of an aircraft? How about it I/As, what are your thoughts?
Working...
X